- GRADUATED FROM OKLAHOMA HORSESHOEING SCHOOL 1982
- EARNED AFA CERTIFICATION IN 1989.
- GRADUATE KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY (KSU) BS ANIMAL SCIENCE -1993
- GRADUATE OF KSU SCHOOL OF VETERINARY MEDICINE – 1997
- GRADUATE OF PARKER CHIROPRACTIC SCHOOL -2005
- GRADUATE OF MEDICAL ACUPUNCTURE FOR VETERINARIANS -2006 (CSU)
- Upon graduation from vet school worked in a mixed animal practice predominately feedlot consulting and Equine lameness until 1999.
- 1999 moved to Eldorado, Kansas – opened a practice specializing in Equine and Bovine medicine
- 2000 became a regulatory veterinary for the Kansas Racing and Gaming
Commission and continued that position in conjunction with private practice until 2008.
- 2005 purchased an equine practice in northeast Wichita, Kansas.
- 2008-2012 Assistant medical director for Louisiana State Racing Commission (LSRC)
- The major emphasis of Dr. Hickman’s practice is equine podiatry and sports medicine issues. He offers one of if not the only kinematic facilities in the state of Kansas for Horses. In addition to a Routine lameness workup he has the capabilities to offer high resolution video gait analysis with frame rates exceeding 1000
fps @ 1024×1024 resolution.
In addition, his experience as a farrier allows a unique insight into the bio-mechanical movement of the distal limb and has allowed him to forge an alliance with the farriers
in the surrounding region to develop a team approach to address lameness issues
unprecedented in the state. This team approach to soundness is a passion for Dr.
Hickman and has afforded him opportunities to speak multiple times to groups at such places as Equifest of Kansas , several Farrier’s Association events including the national AFA meeting Salt lake city Utah 2002, the Student Chapter of Equine Practitioners (Kansas State University), Parker Chiropractic College Dallas Texas, and most recently the yearly racing regulatory authorities meeting in Orlando Fl.
He was also the Key Note speaker for Equine
Medicine at the 2004 Kansas Veterinary Medical Association Yearly meeting
offering 5 hours of Lectures to other veterinarians on Equine lameness and
Podiatry issues. Dr. Hickman also offers a full service equine practice
including reproductive services, routine health care needs as well as emergency
and ambulatory services.
American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP)
American Farriers Association (AFA)
American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
Kansas Veterinary Medical Association (KVMA)
Colorado Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
Nebraska Veterinary Medical Association (NVMA)
Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA)
Missouri Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA)
Academy of Veterinary Consultants (AVC)